Another Falklands diorama

Recently I came up with an idea for a Falklands War themed diorama. No figures, just a lot of hardware. For this I would need a heap of FN rifles.
Initial thought was to make the master from bits of plasticard, but then someone mentioned 3D printing service Shapeways. This would be a perfect excuse to try to use contemporary technology with potential use for future project.
I settled with 1:20 scale (I like metric scales...) which will allow for a bit more detail than typical 1:35th.

The rifle was modelled in CAD together with sprues, so it will be ready for casting straight out of the box:

Model was exported to STL format, and uploaded directly to Shapeways. This service allows for immediate feedback, depending on the material chosen. One or two minor tweaks were required, and the order was sent for processing.

About a week later a bix cardboard box landed at my doorstep. Inside - a very carefully packed my miniature FN FAL. I'm really impressed with the print quality.


Now I need to get some silicone, and resin.


No comments:

Post a Comment