Bluestone 42 - part 1

This was a diorama that was sitting on my bench for over a year. The idea was born after watching British sitcom 'Bluestone 42', which was about a bomb disposal squad based in Afghanistan. 

My favourite characters are two Scottish gits Mac & Rocket. Always up to no good, and the most diorama worthy were their gladiator fights in episode 5 of the 3rd season.


I started with printing the skeletons scaled to the approximate heights in 1/20 scale, and rigged a simple copper wire frames for the figures.

Main non-movable parts (long bones, pelvis, skull and chest were sculpted from Magic Sculp. 

Once the initial frame was set, I could realistically pose my figures, as the body joints were in the right places. Then I added knees, elbows and other joints to set the poses.

 Next to sculpt were headsm hands and feet. Tools of trade are visible on the photo. I use dental tools to work the Magic Sculpt while it's still workable. Then, once set I use file, pointy scalpel and steel wool to sculp the details.

 The figures are almost 'engineered' rather than sculpted, with layers of clothing being added on top of the basic body shape..


To make the figures less boring - one is wearing a T-shirt and the other UBACS shirt. Shoe laces were made from the elastic rigging thread fixed with superglue.

No comments:

Post a Comment